It’s so important to keep your wardrobe, clothing storage and home organised and well kept. Organising and sorting your clothing and accessories is something that doesn’t take too long, and when it has been done properly, you will feel a great sense of achievement.
It will also help deter moths away from your clothes and home, in order for your possessions to stay intact and in the best condition they can be, for much longer.
Below, we have given you our top tips to make this process easy for you to follow, in order for your wardrobe, clothes and home to be the best they can be.
- The big turn out – Use the end of the season to have a cull. Go through your winter woollies, suits coats and dresses, are you sure you want to see them all next October?!
- leanliness – Two options: wash or dry-clean. Make sure any garment to be stored away for the season is clean. Stains oxidise and moths love hair, skin and food particles, do not feed them!
- Housekeeping – Any storage area, cupboard, under bed and top of wardrobe needs to be vacuumed, dusted, wiped down, kept clean and damp free.
- Anti-moth products – Anti-moth products will detract the pesky creatures and keep your possessions in tip top condition. Replace/refresh hanging sachets, lavender bags, pot pourri and diffusers every season as they will lose their strength after time.
- Refresh your anti-moth products – Line cupboards and drawers with anti-moth drawer liners. This will keep your wardrobe fresh clean and moth-free.
- Wrap delicates – Wrap cashmeres and other delicates in acid-free tissue paper which preserves their original colour and also helps protect against damp and dust.
- Don’t leave garments in plastic – Garments left in plastic for more than 3 months will change in temperature. This leads to condensation forming in the bags which can cause discolouration.
- Location – Clothes to be stored need to be kept well-aired, dust-free and covered, away from sunlight.
- No sunlight – Nothing should be left in direct sunlight, as sunlight rots fabrics.
- Correct and appropriate products – Using the correct products will help keep your clothes and accessories intact for longer. Browse our online shop to see products which help maintain your possessions.
If you have any thoughts, queries or questions, please do not hesitate to contact us and we will be sure to get back to you. We’d love to hear what you think!