When your fashion collection over takes your storage space, it’s time to make sense of your wardrobe. Our sister company Total Wardrobe Storage is a luxury storage service for those who need more space, ideal when moving, renting, or travelling abroad. From collection and delivery to your home, alterations, repairs and cleaning to creating an online catalogue of your collection, the expert care of your garments is their top priority.
- Perfect for occasional outfits (wedding dresses, fur coats) etc.
- They must be breathable and have wide gusset so you can store several garments in the same bag.
- Don’t use plastic, especially not dry cleaners’ bags.
- Ideally, use a spare wardrobe. Put everything in there and cover it with garment bags or a duvet cover buttoned up around a number of hangers. Most of us don’t have this luxury!
- Hang our hanging sachets, ceramic infuser or essential oil and wooden diffuser cup in your wardrobe.
Under the bed
- Line plastic bins or drawers with acid-free tissue paper. As this is absorbant it will absorb any moisture if there is a change of temperature in the atmosphere.
- If you use a lid, don’t press it down so that the air can circulate
- Put drawer sachets on top.
Long term storage
- Use acid-free tissue or a single, clean cotton sheet to wrap the clothes in if using a suitcase for storage.
- You can get acid-free cardboard boxes that can be lined again with tissue. Conventional brown boxes are not pH neutral and the dye can react with chemicals in your clothes.
- Use knitwear and cashmere bags
- Always store them clean. Moths love cashmere but they also love dirt such as skin particles and microscopic spots of food.
- If a clean jumper rubs against a dirty one, they will both be vulnerable.
- Moths hate dry cleaning fluid so it’s a good idea to get your cashmere garments cleaned before storage.
You need to put things away in perfect condition.
- Deodorant stains, for example, oxidise with chemicals in the fabric and leave a stain.
- In time, a stain from deodorant, perfume or hairspray that you thought had gone, can reappear, and a white collar can go yellow.
- Check hems, button, zips, pockets, trouser turn-ups.