A customer recently sent us some pictures of her carpet that had been attacked by moths. We get lots of questions about carpet moths so here is our advice!
- Prevention is better than cure. Keep your carpet clean. If it is old you may want to have it specialist dry cleaned to make sure all the moth eggs are killed. If you have just moved into a new house it is also good to have a deep clean. You don’t want to have to get your carpets replaced which can be costly.
- Lift up the furniture. It is very easy just to clean around the sofa and feel like your home is spic’n’span. However, moths like dark corners so you will need to hunt them out. If you haven’t done this recently it’s time to get stuck in.
- Steam clean. If you have discovered moths have been munching at your rug try steam cleaning. Moths won’t survive the heat. It’s always a good idea to spot-test any cleaning product you plan to use on your carpet. We recommend testing in a closet or other out-of-the-way location. This way you don’t risk damaging or fading your carpet with a product that’s not right for it.
- Spray your carpet with one of our linen sprays. They are water based so do not leave a stain. They are packed with ingredients that we love and moths hate.
- The moth armoury. Once your carpet as clean as can be it’s time to protect all your hard work. The moth decoy works as part of an integrated moth control programme. Moth boxes provide a useful indicator moth activity over time. As the system works with the lifecycle of the moth, within 9-12 months you should notice a reduction in the moth population.
- Relax. Put your feet up and marvel at all your hard work.